- Chamberlain Scholarship/Leadership Development Campaign
- Chapter Impact Campaign
- Diversity Scholarship Campaign
- Growth in Giving Research Campaign
- Leadership Academy Campaign
Chamberlain Scholarship/Leadership Development Campaign
As the world’s largest scholarship program for fundraising professionals, the Chamberlain Scholarship Program is a pivotal gateway for many AFP members to become leaders within the association and the fundraising profession. More than 2,200 people have been awarded scholarships since the program’s inception in 2000. AFP Chapters administer the program by providing one conference registration annually to someone in their chapter who have never attended the AFP International Conference on Fundraising before.
Chapter Impact Campaign
AFP Chapters are asked annually to have a thoughtful discussion with their Board of Directors and provide a gift to the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy. Gifts can be designated toward:
- Building the Capacity of the AFP Foundation
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Leadership Development
Diversity Scholarship Campaign
As a community of inclusion, the Association of Fundraising Professionals seeks, embraces, and engages diverse individuals, groups, and organizations with a broad representation of experiences, perspectives, thoughts and cultures within the fundraising profession. Through this strategic initiative, AFP is committed to activities that increase awareness of diversity issues. As part of this commitment, the AFP Foundation created a diversity scholarship program to provide financial assistance for professional fundraisers and AFP members who are themselves members of a diverse community, or are employed by grassroots organizations that primarily serve diverse populations.
The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy invites fundraising professionals and AFP members to support diversity within the fundraising profession through the Diversity Scholarship Campaign. Contributions to this campaign will fund scholarships to support registration and travel costs to attend the annual AFP International Conference on Fundraising.
Scholarships will be offered in each of three categories provided the category achieves sufficient funding. The AFP Foundation offers our donors the opportunity to direct their gifts to one of the following categories:
- The General Diversity Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants who identify themselves as members of the AFP diversity community of fundraising professionals.
- The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants who are members of the AFP GLBT diverse community of fundraising professionals.
- The African-American Diversity Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants of the AFP African-American diverse community of fundraising professionals.
The Diversity Scholarship Program began in 2012 and have provided over 100 scholarships to fundraising professionals from diverse communities since that time.
Growth in Giving Research Campaign
The Growth in Giving Initiative seeks to identify and understand the many variables that affect philanthropic giving in the United States. Many of these variables are well known and understood, such as the relationship between the economy and giving overall. Other variables that impact growth in giving require in-depth study, including investment in fundraising and individual giving strategies. This research seeks to identify these variables in an effort to comprehend all that goes into making the United States charitable sector as successful as possible in obtaining the resources needed to fulfill its nonprofit mission.
Goals & Objectives
- Continue to provide the annual Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report (ongoing since 2007).
- Promote widespread use of the “Fundraising Fitness Test” that enables nonprofit organizations to understand their philanthropic giving patterns and how best to use resources to generate positive results in charitable giving.
- Create additional educational products that demonstrate how to use Growth in Giving data (The “AFP Planning to Keep Your Donors Workshop” is one example).
Leadership Academy Campaign
AFP values leadership development as essential to effective and ethical philanthropy. As nonprofit organizations experience unprecedented challenges, societal demands for their services continue to rise. These circumstances intensify the need for leaders equipped with leadership skills that produce positive results and restore public confidence. In response to a critical need in philanthropy and professional fundraising, AFP annually convenes the Leadership Academy to develop and reinforce the leadership potential of fundraising professionals. This is a unique educational and networking opportunity specifically designed to fortify the profession’s infrastructure and empower leadership that will impact the nonprofit sector.
The annual AFP Leadership Academy provides training focused on the needs of current and upcoming chapter leaders, and also those in the fundraising profession who wish to develop their leadership skills to grow in their career. The AFP Leadership Academy incorporates comprehensive educational sessions in leadership development and practical tips that fundraising professionals can apply immediately in all aspects of their volunteer and professional careers.