Fundraising is Awesome! AFP Has the Document to Prove It
Fundraising is awesome! You know that. But not everyone does (yet!), plus sometimes it’s important to step back and remember all the good that fundraising makes possible. Hence, the Fundraising is Awesome document.
Fundraising is Awesome can be used for a variety of purposes: recruitment, board education, and team building, to name just a few. It’s also a great primer for both experienced and aspiring fundraisers to understand the impact that the profession has.
“We should all be proud of the infinite good works being created each and every day, one donation at a time,” said Stewart Wong, vice president of communications, marketing and advocacy at Holland Bloorview Hospital in Toronto, and one of the main authors of Fundraising is Awesome. “We hope that the document instills a sense of pride for those who have chosen mission-based work as the focus of their career.”
Fundraising is Awesome also serves as a recruitment tool, both for the profession and for the AFP community. There are many facts that have been curated into the document—including sections on the impact of the profession and the charitable sector, why you should become a fundraiser and traits of a successful practitioner—to compel more people to choose an amazing and inspirational career.
“We are very proud to showcase many of the excellent AFP programs and research, as well as quotes from AFP members, that bring colour to why fundraising is indeed an awesome profession,” said Juniper Locilento, MPNL, senior director, development for the YMCA of Greater Toronto and another author of the document.
How to Use the Document
Wong and Locilento suggest several ways for members and chapters to use Fundraising is Awesome.
- Distribute to your coworkers and board
- Use the content to host an education session or a “lunch and learn”
- Extract content and provide it to your HR team to aid in recruitment
- Bring it to job fairs to recruit new talent
- Have it as a hand out at a reception or similar event
- Take some of the statistics and use them in presentations
- Give it to new fundraisers as part of their orientation
- Distribute it to your members
- Print out and distribute copies at education and networking sessions
- Send it as pre-read for discussion at your next board meeting
- Post it on your chapter website
- Distribute it in your next newsletter
- Use content to make it the focus of a chapter education session
- Send it to your community and government stakeholders with a handwritten note thanking them for their support
Let us know what you think of Fundraising is Awesome and how you plan on using it at your organization and in your chapter—you can email firstname.lastname@example.org! This document is also available in French: la collecte de fonds, c'est génial!