Updated April 26, 2021
The groundbreaking annual Fundraising Effectiveness Survey, a project of the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy, was piloted in November 2006 and collects fundraising data from nonprofit organizations beginning with data for 2004-2005. The Fundraising Effectiveness Survey enables participating groups to measure and compare their fundraising gain and loss ratios to those of similar organizations.
Participants can use this industry data, which AFP offers free, to make better-informed, growth-oriented budget decisions to boost donor revenue.
*Please note: A recent version of the Chrome browser may cause a small percentage of users to encounter an error message when completing the download form. If you experience this, our apologies – it is being addressed. In the meantime, please try to copy and paste this page link in a different browser or version of Chrome. Thank you!
The library consists of the following annual and quarterly reports on the growth and trends of philanthropy in North America:
- 2020, Q4
- 2020, Q3
- 2020, Q2
- 2020, Q1
- 2019, Q4 Canada
- 2019, Q4
- 2019, Q3
- 2019, Q2
- 2019, Q1
- 2018, Q4
- 2018, Q3
- 2018, Q2
- 2018, Q1
- 2017, Q4
- 2017, Q3
- 2017, Q2
- 2019 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2018Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2017 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2016 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2016 FEP Donor Retention Supplement
- 2015 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2015 FEP Donor Retention Supplement
- 2014 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report]
- 2013 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2012 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2012 Fundraising Effectiveness Factsheet
- 2011 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2011 FEP Donor Retention Supplement
- 2010 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
- 2009 Fundraising Effectiveness Survey Report
Donor Software Workgroup
A critical element in the success of the Fundraising Effectiveness Project (FEP) has been the cooperation and support of the members of the AFP Donor Software Workgroup. Collectively, these firms serve more than 50,000 nonprofit clients.
In 2007, the Donor Software Workgroup assisted with the design of the FEP survey. The firms have developed software modules that eliminate the need for their clients to key the fundraising performance data manually into the survey instrument.
The FEP has developed a standard Gain/Loss Growth-in-Giving Performance Report for use by all nonprofits to measure their growth in giving, and most participating software firms have incorporated the FEP standard report into their reporting modules.
Participating firms (2014) include:
- Clearview CRM
- DonorPerfect Fundraising Software
- MatchMaker FundRaising Software
- Metafile (Results Plus)
- PhilanthrAppeal (FundTrack Software)
- ROI Solutions
- Telisma Fundraising
- Telosa Software (Exceed!)