Who We Are
AFP Canada is committed to you and your profession. AFP Canada is your voice—the national voice for our fundraising profession. We are here to ensure that your values and priorities are heard on the international stage.
As a member of AFP, you are part of a large community. You are one of more than 3,500 members in Canada AND you are one of over 31,000 members internationally. Since it was formed in 1960, AFP has inspired global change and supported efforts that have generated over $1 trillion. AFP’s members raise over $100 billion annually. This network of passionate professionals is here for you. They, along with your AFP membership, help you to succeed.
About AFP Canada
Vision: To stimulate a world of generosity and positive social good through fundraising best practices.
Mission: The Association of Fundraising Professionals empowers individuals and organizations to practice ethical fundraising through professional education, networking, research and advocacy.
- Incorporated as a federal nonprofit in 2017
- Created in response to feedback from AFP members across Canada
- Governed by a committed volunteer Board of Directors
- Provides Canada-focused government relations & communications
- Develops and implements a strategic plan for AFP in Canada
- Empowers members in Canada to practice ethical fundraising
- Supports the growth and development of networks of fundraisers in Canada
- Provides a bilingual national voice for the fundraising profession in Canada
About the Charitable Sector in Canada
- Ranked 3rd in the world for levels of individual giving (Lasby and Barr, 2017, 30 years of giving in Canada:the giving behaviour of canadians: who gives, how, and why?)
- 2nd largest charitable and nonprofit sector in the world (Imagine Canada: Canada's Charities and Nonprofits - Infographic)
- Employs 2.4 million Canadians at more than 170,000 nonprofits and charities (Satellite Account of Nonprofit Institutions and Volunteering : 2017)
- Approximately $18.5 billion in donations received by Canadian charities in 2014 alone (Lasby and Barr, 2017, 30 years of giving in Canada:the giving behaviour of canadians: who gives, how, and why?)
- 8.5% of gross domestic product, exceeding the oil and gas or finance industries (Satellite Account of Nonprofit Institutions and Volunteering : 2017)
- An annual contribution to the Canadian economy of $169 billion (Satellite Account of Nonprofit Institutions and Volunteering : 2017)