BE the CAUSE Campaign & Toolkit
What is BE the CAUSE?
BE the CAUSE is the Foundation’s annual, unrestricted fund that supports all four pillars of our Case for Support. BE the CAUSE helps to fund local, national, and international programs including scholarships, leadership development, education and much more. A portion of every donation that a donor makes goes back to their local chapter to support local programs.
- See the latest BE the CAUSE FAQ.
- Jump to the BE the CAUSE Toolkit.
- Learn About the Chapter Impact Campaign
Grant Back Program: The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy works in partnership with AFP chapters throughout the United States to implement our cooperative annual fund campaign called BE the CAUSE. Every chapter receives between 15%-35% (based on mutually agreed high/low goals) of their BE the CAUSE dollars raised in the previous year. These funds are granted to the local AFP chapter thereby increasing the mission of the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy in local communities for educational programs, scholarships, and so much more. Please click here for the full information.
How the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy Helps Chapters with their BE the CAUSE Campaign:
- Annual calling program provided in kind by Catapult Fundraising Inc.
- Matches: Blackbaud, as a partner of the Foundation for Philanthropy, offers a $10 match for every gift (not pledge) of $20 or more that is made towards BE the CAUSE at the AFP International Conference on Fundraising (ICON). In 2020, ICON will be held in Baltimore, Md., March 29-31.
- LYBUNT: In the first quarter of the year, the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy sends a direct mail solicitation to donors who gave last year but not yet this year for the BE the CAUSE Campaign.
BE the CAUSE Toolkit
Updated January 13, 2021
BE the CAUSE Campaign Materials: Everything Your Chapter Needs to Have a Successful Campaign
- How to Access the Chapter Tally Report
- BE the CAUSE Chapter Tally Report (Foundation Development Chair access required - sign in with your FDC login when prompted)
- I give because...Placard
- Response Card
- Solicitation Emails
- Solicitation Letters
- Solicitation Letter/Email Inserts
- Talking Points
- Chapter Opt Out Form
- Donor Pin Order Form
- Donor Societies & Giving Levels
- Give by Cell Instructions
- Important Dates & Deadlines
- Planning Tool - Blank
- Planning Tool - Sample
- Tiered, Cooperative Annual Fund Distribution Model
Chapter Samples: Chapters Helping Each Other to Succeed
- 2021 BE the CAUSE Communications Plan – AFP CA, Capital Chapter
- Chapter Donor Recognition - AFP CA, Greater Los Angeles Chapter
- Foundation Development Chair Job Description – AFP CA, Capital Chapter
- Renewal Gift Invite (.pdf) - AFP CT, Connecticut Chapter
- Solicitation Email Appeals (.doc) - AFP CT, Fairfield County Chapter
- Solicitation Email Appeals (.pdf) - AFP CT, Fairfield County Chapter
- Solicitation Email to All Members – AFP TX, Fort Worth Metro Chapter
- Solicitation Email to Chapter Board Members - AFP NC, Triangle Chapter
- Solicitation Email to Recent Donors - AFP TN, Memphis Chapter
- Solicitation Letter - AFP WI, Southeastern Chapter
Chapter Impact Campaign: The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy asks AFP Chapters to consider a gift from their budget to support the fundraising profession. Chapters can designate a specific area of support or provide unrestricted funds for the Foundation to determine where the funds should be best directed. The areas of focus that the chapters can choose are:
- Leadership Development – which includes AFP LEAD and developing specific programs for leadership development for the fundraising profession.
- IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access) – which includes diversity scholarships and also programs like the ongoing Women’s Impact Initiative.
- Chamberlain Scholarships to help fundraising professionals attend the AFP International Conference on Fundraising.
- Capacity Building which allows the Foundation to use the funds where they are most needed.