Martha H. Schumacher to Lead Board of Largest Community of Social Impact Fundraisers in the World
(Arlington, Va.) Martha H. Schumacher, CFRE, ACFRE, MInstF (AD) will serve as the chair of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) International in 2019.
Schumacher and the rest of the 2019 AFP Board of Directors were recently approved by a vote of AFP members. She is president and founder of Hazen Inc., a social impact philanthropic consulting firm, and the Hazen Institute for Leadership Training (HILT), in Washington, D.C. Schumacher has been a member of AFP for 30 years and previously served in numerous positions on the AFP International Association Board.
“It is a tremendous honor to be leading such a vibrant, evolving organization,” said Schumacher. "AFP promotes the highest ethical standards, advances effective practices, and provides myriad invaluable tools and resources for fundraisers across the country and around the world. I am proud to be chairing AFP as we gear up to celebrate 60 years of service to the philanthropic sector in 2020.”
AFP is the largest association of professional fundraisers in the world, representing more than 31,000 individuals and nonprofits generating philanthropic support for a vast array of social impact causes. The association works to advance ethical and effective fundraising, and AFP members abide by the only enforceable code of ethics in the profession.
The officers for 2019 will include:
- Kevin Foyle, MBA, CFRE: Chair-Elect
- Ann Hale, MA, CFRE: Immediate Past Chair
- Mike Delzotti, CFRE, CSPG, FCEP: Treasurer
- Nivisha Mehta, BS: Secretary
At-Large Directors include:
- Birgit Smith Burton: Vice Chair, Membership Engagement
- Leah Eustace, CFRE, ACFRE, M.Phil., MInstF: Vice Chair, Professional Development
- Jeremy Wells, CFRE: Vice Chair, External Relations
- Azza Mohamed Koura
- Pati Greenwood, CFRE
- Anne Marie MacPherson, CFRE
- Lori Hunter Overmyer, CFRE
- Michael Baker, CFRE
- Luce Moreau, CFRE: Chapter President’s Council Representative
- Bret Heinrich, CFRE
- Pamela Perkins-Dwyer
- Darius Maze, CFRE
- Sarah Cortell Vandersypen, CFRE
- Alan Hutson, Jr., MPA, CFRE
In addition, the following are ex-officio members of the AFP Association Board with a vote:
- Paula Attfield: Chair, AFP Canada Board
- Karen Rotko-Wynn, CFRE: Chair, AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – U.S. Board
- Roger Ali, MBA, CFRE: Chair, AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – Canada Board
- Ana Luisa Ramirez: AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – Mexico Representative
AFP President and CEO Mike Geiger, MBA, CPA also serves as an ex-officio member of the board without a vote.
“We have a very strong group of leaders for 2019, and I look forward to working with all of them, especially Martha, whose innovative ideas and passion for fundraising and philanthropy are a tremendous asset to AFP,” said Geiger. “Thanks should also go to Patrick Feeley and the other members of the Committee on Directorship for their work in putting together such a dynamic slate of volunteer leaders. I also appreciate all our members who voted on the slate—this is your community, and we want you to get involved.”
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) represents more than 31,000 members in more than 240 chapters throughout the world, working to advance philanthropy through advocacy, research, education and certification programs. The association fosters development and growth of fundraising professionals, and promotes high ethical standards in the fundraising profession.