AFP Fact Sheet
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is the professional association of individuals and organizations that generate philanthropic support for a wide variety of charitable institutions. Founded in 1960, AFP advances philanthropy through its 30,000 members in more than 240 chapters throughout the world. AFP has inspired global change and supported efforts that have generated over $1 trillion. AFP’s individual and organizational members raise over $115 billion annually.
So that it can promote stewardship, donor trust and effective and ethical fundraising, AFP:
- Requires members to comply with a Code of Ethical Principles and Standards that is designed to provide concrete guidelines for fundraising professionals in philanthropic organizations. The code is underscored with an enforcement process managed by the AFP Ethics Committee, and is consistently highlighted during AFP Ethics Month in October.
- Was instrumental in creating and maintaining A Donor Bill of Rights, a document that outlines what donors have the right to expect from charitable organizations to which they contribute.
- Provides educational programs about fundraising, including the annual International Conference on Fundraising (ICON), the largest gathering of fundraising professionals in the world; AFP LEAD, AFP's annual leadership conference; the Hemispheric Congress on Fundraising—Latin America; Blackbaud University; Fundamentals of Fundraising; CFRE Refresher Course; Donor Retention Course; and AFP Webinars, Microlearning Videos and eCourses.
- Offers career and leadership development programming for all fundraisers through collaborations with Korn Ferry and the American Association of University Women.
- Raises public awareness and interest in philanthropy through programs such as National Philanthropy Day® (now a permanently recognized day in Canada by the federal government), Youth in Philanthropy, and AFP’s awards program.
- Is an original founder of and current participating organization in a worldwide certification program through Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) International. The CFRE credential verifies experience and knowledge of fundraising and philanthropy. AFP also provides the Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive (ACFRE) credential for senior professionals.
- Encourages research on fundraising and philanthropy, including the Nonprofit Research Collaborative Year-End Fundraising Survey; the Fundraising Effectiveness Project, which looks at how charities can be more efficient in their revenue generation; and the annual Compensation and Benefits Study, focusing on fundraising salaries, as well as other research.
- Partners with leading organizations to further the profession and philanthropy. Partners include Blackbaud, Chronicle of Philanthropy, Community Brands, DonorPerfect, Nonprofit Quarterly, Nonprofit Times, Salesforce and the Sanford Institute of Philanthropy.
- Supports legislation and regulations to encourage philanthropic giving and ethical fundraising.
Services to Members
- AFP ICON, held annually, draws thousands fundraisers from around the world and provides the ultimate educational and networking opportunity through the many participatory workshops, leadership forums, round tables, plenary sessions and social events. Visit afpicon.com for more information.
- AFP LEAD is AFP's annual leadership conference drawing more than 300 of AFP’s chapter leaders, administrators and fundraisers at-large. This event provides educational and networking opportunities to enhance leadership skills for more effective AFP chapters and nonprofit organizations. Visit afplead.org for more information.
- AFP Publications: AFP Daily, a daily email newsletter, provides fundraising news, tips and guidance; Public Policy Updates provide up-to-date information on government relations issues and Advancing Philanthropy, a quarterly magazine, provides practical fundraising advice and information.
- AFP Website (afpglobal.org) provides members with all of the latest news, information, updates and analysis from around the nonprofit sector, the fundraising profession and AFP. Through the AFP website, members can take courses online, participate in online discussions and renew their membership. Job listings can be posted at https://afpglobal.org/career-center.
- AFP 360°, powered by Korn Ferry, which provides a variety of leadership and career-building services and programs, including skills assessment, resume architecture, career management insights and more!
- Negotiation Training Workshops, provided in conjunction with the American Association of University Women, giving members advice and guidance on how to handle tough conversations with donors, volunteers, colleagues, employers and others.
- National Philanthropy Day® (Nov. 15) celebrates the extraordinary contributions of philanthropy in every community, as well as those individuals who work in the philanthropic world. More than 100 National Philanthropy Day® (NPD) celebrations involving over 50,000 people are scheduled every year. NPD is now recognized permanently in Canada by the federal government and by local governments around the world.
- Chapter offerings include seminars, networking events, newsletters and a host of other opportunities to learn and share fundraising expertise at the local level.
- AFP Awards honor individuals and organizations for their extraordinary efforts in philanthropy and fundraising. These include the CARTER Awards for Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy, Individual and Group; the Award for Outstanding Fundraising Professional, Corporation, Foundation, Philanthropist and Volunteer Fundraiser. Other awards include the Barbara Marion Award for Outstanding Service to AFP, the AFP/Skystone Partners Prize for Research on Fundraising and Philanthropy, and the Charles R. Stephens Excellence in Diversity Award.