AFP Fact Sheet
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is the professional association of individuals and organizations that generate philanthropic support for a wide variety of charitable institutions. Founded in 1960, AFP advances philanthropy through its 33,000 members in more than 241 chapters throughout the world. AFP has inspired global change and supported efforts that have generated over $1 trillion. AFP’s individual and organizational members raise over $115 billion annually, equivalent to one-third of all charitable giving in North America, and millions more around the world.
So that it can promote stewardship, donor trust and effective and ethical fundraising, AFP:
- Requires members to comply with a Code of Ethical Principles and Standards that is designed to provide concrete guidelines for fundraising professionals in philanthropic organizations. The code is underscored with an enforcement process managed by the AFP Ethics Committee, and services such as the Ethics Assessment Inventory to encourage fundraisers to sharpen their ethical knowledge.
- Was instrumental in creating and maintaining A Donor Bill of Rights, a document that outlines what donors have the right to expect from charitable organizations to which they contribute.
- Raises public awareness and interest in philanthropy through programs such as National Philanthropy Day® (now a permanently recognized day in Canada by the federal government), Youth in Philanthropy, and the AFP Awards for Philanthropy.
- Is an original founder of and current participating organization in a worldwide certification program through Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) International. The CFRE credential verifies experience and knowledge of fundraising and philanthropy. AFP also provides the Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive (ACFRE) credential for senior professionals.
- Provides educational programs about fundraising, including the annual International Fundraising Conference, the largest gathering of fundraising professionals in the world; the annual Leadership Academy; the Hemispheric Congress on Fundraising—Latin America; Fundraising Principles and Practice Course; International Advanced Diploma in Fundraising; CFRE Review Course; The Fundamentals of Fundraising Course; and AFP Webinars and eCourses.
- Provides information about philanthropy through its Fundraising Resource Center, which houses a comprehensive collection of books, periodicals, speeches and audio/visual materials on fundraising and the nonprofit sector.
- Supports legislation and regulations to encourage philanthropic giving and ethical fundraising.
- Encourages research on fundraising and philanthropy, including the Nonprofit Research Collaborative Year-End Fundraising Survey; the Fundraising Effectiveness Project, which looks at how charities can be more efficient in their revenue generation; and the annual Compensation and Benefits Study, focusing on fundraising salaries.
- Partners with educational institutions to further the profession and philanthropy. Collaborators include the Institute of Fundraising (UK), North Park University, Plymouth University, Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico), APGA, the American Red Cross, and YMCA of the USA.
Services to Members
- The AFP International Fundraising Conference, held annually, draws more than 4,000 people from around the world and provides the ultimate educational and networking opportunity through the many participatory workshops, leadership forums, round tables, plenary sessions and social events. Visit afpicon.com for more information.
- The AFP Leadership Academy is an annual event drawing more than 300 of AFP’s chapter leaders, administrators and fundraisers at-large. This event provides educational and networking opportunities to enhance leadership skills for more effective AFP chapters and nonprofit organizations. Visit afpleadershipacademy.org for more information.
- AFP Publications: The AFP eWire newsletter provides fundraising news, tips and guidance; Public Policy Updates and Action Alerts provide up-to-date information on government relations issues and Advancing Philanthropy, a quarterly magazine, provides practical fundraising advice and information. AFP also publishes newsletters on Canadian fundraising (AFP Canada eWire).
- AFP's Website (afpglobal.org) provides members with all of the latest news, information, updates and analysis from around the nonprofit sector, the fundraising profession and AFP. Through the AFP website, members can take courses online, participate in online discussions and renew their membership. Job listings can be posted at http://jobs.afpnet.org.
- National Philanthropy Day® (Nov. 15) celebrates the extraordinary contributions of philanthropy in every community, as well as those individuals who work in the philanthropic world. More than 100 National Philanthropy Day® (NPD) celebrations involving over 50,000 people are scheduled every year. NPD is now recognized permanently in Canada by the federal government and by local governments around the world.
- Chapter offerings include seminars, networking events, newsletters and a host of other opportunities to learn and share fundraising expertise at the local level.
- AFP Awards honor individuals and organizations for their extraordinary efforts in philanthropy and fundraising. These include the National Philanthropy Day Honors:
- Awards for Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy, Individual and Group
- Award for Outstanding Fundraising Professional
- Award for Outstanding Corporation
- Award for Outstanding Philanthropist
- Award for Outstanding Foundation
- Award for Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser
- Other Awards, including the Barbara Marion Award for Outstanding Service to AFP, the AFP/Skystone Ryan Prize for Research on Fundraising and Philanthropy, and the Charles R. Stephens Excellence in Diversity Award.