September 19, 2018
1. Make sure the program is brief and concise. A sample agenda:
- 11:30-11:45 am - Registration
- 11:45-12:00 noon - Welcome and Introduction by Host Attendees’; self-introductions; Explanation of Meeting; Purpose
- 12:00-12:30 pm - Luncheon; encourage networking
- 12:30-1:15 pm - Guest Speaker; Question & Answer Session
2. Provide name badges to all in attendance.
3. Set sample AFP publications and brochures (see Attachments) out on a table for distribution. At the end of the meeting, ask for a show of hands to determine if there is sufficient interest to proceed with chapter organization.
NOTE: To proceed, a name for the new chapter should be chosen and the annual amount for chapter dues should be set…this will allow us to prepare customized applications for your forming chapter to use in recruiting members. To help you in deciding on a name for your new chapter, please review the AFP Chapter Naming Convention (see Attachments).
4. If you have a good indication before the meeting that there is adequate interest in forming a chapter, you may suggest the chapter’s possible names and dues amount so that attendees can complete these tasks at this exploratory meeting.
5. Ask for at least 5 volunteers to serve on an Organizing Committee to plan additional meetings and promote membership. These may be the same individuals who planned the exploratory meeting, but it is always helpful to have more volunteers engaged in the process of forming the chapter.
6. Contact the AFP Chapter Services Director assigned to you and report on the meeting. Make requests for additional speakers or materials, as needed. This may include individualized Forming XYZ Chapter membership applications.