AFP Diverse Communities Scholarship Program Overview & Criteria
August 31, 2018
Advancing Diversity by Establishing a Diverse Profession
A Joint Strategic Initiative of AFP and the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy
- Make an online secure gift to the Diversity Scholarship Campaign.
- Congratulations to the 2018 class of Diverse Communities Scholars!
As a community of inclusion, the Association of Fundraising Professionals seeks, embraces, and engages diverse individuals, groups, and organizations with a broad representation of experiences, perspectives, thoughts and cultures within the fundraising profession. Through this strategic initiative, AFP is committed to activities that increase awareness of diversity issues. As part of this commitment, AFP has created a diversity scholarship program to provide financial assistance for the professional development of AFP members who are themselves members of a diverse community, or are employed by grassroots organizations that primarily serve diverse populations.
The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy invites all AFP members to support diversity within the fundraising profession through the Diversity Scholarship Campaign. Contributions to this campaign will fund scholarships to support registration and travel costs to attend the annual AFP International Conference on Fundraising.
2019 Scholarship Process
The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy is pleased to once again offer the Diverse Communities Scholarship program for members of diverse communities to attend the AFP International Fundraising Conference in San Antonio, TX, March 31 - April 2, 2019.
The application process will open September 1 – October 31, 2018. AFP is pleased to offer $1,500 scholarships ($799 conference registration fee + some travel expenses) for each of the currently identified AFP diverse communities. THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to the diversity scholarship campaign, for your generosity and for helping to ensure the success of this program. Deadline for application submission is October 31, 2018. Selected candidates will be notified by email by December 1, 2018.
Should you have questions about the AFP the Diversity Scholarships Campaign, please contact email@example.com.
About the Diverse Communities Scholarship
- Fundraising professional who self identifies as coming from an eligible diverse community as defined by AFP (African-American/Black, Asian, People with Disabilities, Faith-based, LGBTQ, Hispanic, Jewish, Rural, or another underrepresented community.)
- Fundraising professional or fundraising executive director employed by an eligible AFP diverse community where 50% or more staff members are from that diverse community.
- Work for a nonprofit organization that serves a 50% or more eligible AFP diverse community client base.
- Employed as a full-time fundraising professional or spend at least fifty percent of time fundraising for employer.
- Never attended an NSFRE/AFP International Conference on Fundraising.
- Understand that this may be a partial scholarship (conference fees and some travel stipend only) and that scholar may be required to find additional funds needed to attend this conference (such as travel expenses).
- Understand that my name as the AFP Diverse Communities Conference Scholar may be listed/promoted in AFP communications.
- Understand that if selected as a 2019 Diverse Communities Scholarship winner, that scholar will attend all required sessions at the International Fundraising Conference and complete an evaluation.
Should you have questions about the AFP Diverse Communities Scholarship, please contact AFP at (703) 519-8486, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.