AFP Global Board – General Information and Nominating Process
You have the power to influence the focus and direction of AFP in a very concrete way: by nominating leaders for the AFP Global Board of Directors!
The AFP Global Board provides direction and oversight to the Association and is seeking active participation, committee involvement and a desire to develop programs that elevate the profession. Board members are expected to maintain their AFP membership, adhere to the AFP Code of Ethics, attend 75% of all board meetings, serve on one AFP Global Committee and be an advocate for AFP Global and our work.
Those who self-identify as members of diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Nominations for the AFP Global Board will open in April and are due in June.
The evaluation criteria used by the committee includes:
- Leadership ability that demonstrates the skills needed to govern a professional association;
- Previous service to AFP, philanthropy and the community locally, nationally and/or internationally;
- Five (5) years’ experience and/or employment in the profession or in an industry that serves philanthropy and/or fundraising;
- Relevant professional certification, education or learning;
- Geographic location;
- Diversity of all kinds;
- Area of professional practice;
- AFP chapter size; and
- Membership current and in good standing (has signed the Code of Ethical Standards).
The board will consist of up to twenty-four members. Directors terms shall serve two years with a maximum of four consecutive full terms in any board-designated category except the chair, chair-elect and immediate past chair.
All nominees will be reviewed by AFP’s Nominating Committee, led by the Immediate Past Chair of the AFP Global Board of Directors. The nominating committee will submit a slate of directors to the membership for vote in September and a slate of officers for approval by the AFP Global Board of Directors at their October meeting.
The 2021 board members will assume office starting January 1, 2021. All new members will be assigned a mentor through the building bridges program to help them familiarize themselves with the board role. Additionally, an orientation session is held in December which provides an overview of AFP Global.
To learn more, please review the following documents:
- AFP Global Board Member Expectations
- Functions and Responsibilities of the AFP Global Board of Directors
- AFP Officer Job Description
Please feel free to contact Derek Mulhern (email@example.com) if you have any questions.