Volunteer With Your Local Chapter
< See also: Get Involved: AFP Volunteer Opportunities
Leadership opportunities. That is one of the top benefits that members consistently tell AFP is of upmost importance to them. There are numerous leadership opportunities available to members, on both the AFP chapter and AFP Global levels.
In most cases, members begin their volunteer work at the local chapter level. This is an important component to getting the most out of your AFP experience, and familiarizing yourself with the expectations of the fundraising leadership community. By working collaboratively on an aspect of your local chapter’s activities, you create life-long friends who have a common interest in the future direction of the fundraising profession.
Some potential volunteer opportunities at the chapter level include:
- Run for a board position
- Join a committee
- Suggest a webinar you can present
- Write an article for your chapter newsletter or chapter website
- Contribute to your AFP Connect chapter forum on your chapter’s website
- Become a public policy advocate
- Volunteer to help or speak at local community events and schools
- Coach other chapters (on IDEA, etc.)
- Participate in your chapter's mentorship program
- Many more!
As AFP chapters vary in size, budget, programming, and the like, the best first step to take if you are interested in volunteering with your chapter is to reach out to express your interest. Take that step today!