Event Recap: AFP ICON 2019
Whew! What a time in San Antonio at AFP ICON 2019, the world’s largest conference of professional fundraisers.
If you were one of the 3,400 people who participated, thanks for joining us! After three days of learning, networking and inspiration (including great presentations by Spencer West and Soledad O’Brien), we hope that you learned a lot—ideas and trends that you can put right to use at your organization—and got a sense of just how big and impactful our community is.
Gail Perry says “AFP ICON is always a terrific experience – with the best minds in fundraising in the room.” Here are her takeaways from ICON in San Antonio.
Every year, we try out new changes and additions to improve your AFP ICON experience. This year, we tried out the following:
- A larger selection of pre-conference workshops;
- New education tracks including a focus on young professionals and healthcare-focused fundraisers—here’s what The Chronicle of Philanthropy had to say about a few;
- Wellness activities including morning yoga and run/walk;
- More coffee availability (always a must!); and
- AFP Stories of Impact, highlighting the work of AFP members and their organizations’ impact on the world.
Did they work? First-time attendee Melissa Neeley called AFP ICON “a whirlwind of endless opportunities” and wrote about what she learned and experienced this year in San Antonio.
We hope you liked these changes. If you attended, be sure to let us know by giving us feedback through the full conference evaluation!
And don’t forget, if you attended AFP ICON, you will get access to recordings of almost every education session offered in San Antonio—coming in early May 2019. That way, you don’t have to miss a thing.
Rilee Chastain with CrowdRise can also help out with not missing a thing, providing her top takeaways from AFP ICON this year.
And check below for additional links to news from AFP ICON, including AFP President and CEO Mike Geiger’s three big announcements!
With all that happening at AFP ICON 2019, you can’t afford to miss out on AFP ICON 2020. Our Super Early Bird rate is available through April 30, 2019. Register now to get this fantastic rate—otherwise you have to wait until later in 2019 and pay a different price.
We look forward to seeing you in Baltimore. Thanks for being a member of AFP and committing yourself to ethical and effective fundraising as create impact in the world—every single day!
AFP News from AFP ICON 2019:
- Three Big Announcements: AFP 360°, AAUW Negotiation Training and Ethics Month
- Paul Pribbenow Named Outstanding Fundraising Professional
- AFP Announces 2019 Class of Distinguished Fellows
- San Antonio Students Honored for Diversity Artwork at AFP ICON
- AFP Names Three Outstanding Young Fundraising Professionals for 2019