AFP Fundamentals of Fundraising Course
The AFP Fundamentals of Fundraising course is an introductory, 2-day course providing a comprehensive overview of fundraising principles at the fundamental level. The course content covers the roles and responsibilities of fundraisers, with emphasis on responsibilities you are likely to encounter at the beginning of your career.
The course is taught in an active learning style and includes case studies and projects for groups and individuals, making the learning experience both substantive and enjoyable.
Learning objectives include:
- Discuss the essential components of an integrated development plan.
- Explain the elements of a marketing and communications plan that shares the organization’s message, informs constituents, and engages donors.
- Develop and sustain relationships with prospective donors, current donors, and volunteers.
- Plan individual and group solicitation strategies to secure annual and major gifts.
- Execute management policies and procedures to ensure fundraising activities are conducted with proper records management and stewardship.
- Demonstrate key ethics and accountability principles and practices in fundraising activities.
The course is worth 16 CFRE continuing education credits.
The AFP Fundamentals of Fundraising course is available as both a classroom learning program and an e-course. Classroom learning opportunities include the pre-conference workshop offered each year at AFP ICON and workshops offered by AFP chapters that take advantage of AFP’s course hosting program.
See the list of "Upcoming Events" below or the Upcoming Events calendar for upcoming offerings in your area.
Visit the Course Hosting page to learn more about hosting the AFP Fundamentals of Fundraising course in your chapter.
Visit the e-Courses page to learn about the e-course version, as well as other e-learning programs AFP offers.
Acknowledgments and Thanks
AFP acknowledges and thanks the chapters and volunteers who have invested in and contributed to the AFP Fundamentals of Fundraising course over the years.
- AFP Greater Philadelphia Chapter
- AFP Vancouver Chapter
- AFP Toronto Chapter
- AFP Edmonton & Area Chapter
Volunteers on 2010 Development Team:
- Tania Little, CFRE
- Dr. Mary A. Brumbach, CFRE
- Cheryl Cobbs, CFRE
- Robert Croft, CFRE
- Theresa Haenn, CFRE
- Linda Lindsay, CFRE
- Gail Perry, CFRE
- Amy Wolfe, MPPA, CFRE
Volunteers on 2017 Revision Team:
- Jennifer Johnstone
- Alexander "Sandy" Macnab, CFRE, FAHP
- Ligia Pena, MSc, CFRE
- Jill A. Pranger, ACFRE
- Amy Butler Smith
- Vern Snyder, ACFRE
- Lise D. Twiford