AFP Global Virtual Capitol Hill Lobby Week - April 26-30, 2021
Get ready for Virtual Lobby Week! We’re asking all U.S. chapters to visit at least one member of Congress and/or their staff during the week of April 26 – 30 through Zoom or other meeting technology. We encourage all chapters to have a government relations chair or other board member in place who can help lead this effort on the chapter level. To help you prepare, AFP has created a Q&A overview document and a comprehensive chapter toolkit that covers everything from scheduling meetings to post-Lobby Week follow-up.
Update: Preliminary Fact Sheets Available, “Office Hour” Forums Scheduled Throughout April!
Worried about how to set up meetings, when to schedule, what to talk about and if lobbying is legal?
AFP Global can answer all your questions and help you on your way towards having a successful meeting with one or more of your members of Congress for our very first Virtual Lobby Week!
We’ve scheduled optional forums for every Thursday in April at 2 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. Plus, on Friday, April 23, we’ll have our big Virtual Lobby Week Kickoff Meeting (more information to come)!
And, we now have fact sheets available on our key issues: the universal charitable deduction, the charitable IRA rollover and postage rate increases/postal reform. These will be updated in a couple of weeks to reference any last minute changes so you can send them on to Congressional staff and members.
The goal of our optional Thursday forums is to help you feel empowered to set up a meeting and have a great and engaging conversation with your member of Congress and their staff. Think of them as “office hours” to answer all your question. AFP Global staff will be on hand to address whatever you need and to ensure you have the information and guidance to move forward. We can cover:
- Flexibility in the dates—if you can’t set up a meeting up for the week of April 26 – 30, schedule another time. The important part is to GET A MEETING!
- How to contact a Congressional office and set up a meeting
- Feeling confident when talking with members of Congress and their staff—you’ll know more than they do on these issues! You don’t have to be experts, just understand how our priorities will impact your organization. TELL YOUR STORY!
- Understanding the issues we’ll be addressing—we’ll go over our key priorities such as the universal charitable deduction, IRA Rollover, and postage rate increases (plus others if they come up!), and how they’ll affect your organization.
- Knowing that you’re okay to lobby and that it’s perfectly legal (it is!)—we’ll provide the details!
The date and time for these optional forums are:
- April 1, 2 p.m. EDT
- April 8, 2 p.m. EDT
- April 15, 2 p.m. EDT
- April 22, 2 p.m. EDT
You can register for the forums here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0vduCsqzgvG9bENdhinIvdP0rqyLQz5kvJ
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
IF THESE FORUM TIMES DON’T WORK FOR YOU, AFP Global staff is happy to set up a meeting one-on-one to discuss any issues and questions you may have. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
And again, we’ll have a separate link available soon for our big kickoff event on Friday, April 23!